What is private fostering

Information for children and young people

Do you live at home with your mum and dad, or do you live with a friend in his or her house?

Do your mum and dad live in another country but you live here so that you can go to school in this country?

Does your dad work away?  Do you live in the house with your dad's girlfriend whilst your dad is away at work?

If you have answered yes to any of the above questions and you live with someone who is not a close relative of yours then you might be living in what is called a ‘private fostering' arrangement. You need to call Referral and Response 01484 456 848 if during the day and at night 01484 414 933.

The law says that the council must be told about every child or young person who is being privately fostered so that the council can check that children are being properly looked after.

Updated 03/08/2016

Back to top

Kirklees Council NSPCC West Yorkshire Police NHS National Probation Service Cafcass