Reporting Child Abuse

Keeping children safe is everybody's business

If you think a child in Kirklees is being abused or mistreated or you have concerns about a child's well-being you should call and speak to someone at one of the following numbers:

All calls concerning worries about children are treated seriously. You will be asked where the child lives and who looks after the child. Enquires will be made immediately.  If it is found that a child is being abused or is at risk of significant harm professionals will work together with the family to ensure that the child can be protected.

If you are in any doubt about reporting your concerns don't think 'What if I'm wrong?', think 'What if I'm right?'.

The $#*! Kids Say is a short film by the NSPCC, asking you to trust your instincts when you think things aren't quite as they should be. If you're worried about a child, need advice, or want to talk, DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE CERTAIN. Call Kirklees Referral and Response on 01484 456 848 or the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.

Our leaflet Reporting child abuse in Kirklees contains more information.  The leaflet is available in Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Polish and Cantonese.

Posters and wallet cards for staff and volunteers

Downloadable posters and wallet size folding cards are available for staff and volunteers across Kirklees, at any level in an organisation, as a quick reference guide of the process to be followed if there are concerns about a child or young person. The name of the designated or named senior person should be inserted so that it is clear who staff should speak to if they have concerns about a child in any circumstances.

Updated 01/09/2014

Back to top

Kirklees Council NSPCC West Yorkshire Police NHS National Probation Service Cafcass