Child Protection

Information and advice for young people

If you are being hurt, treated in a way that makes you feel scared or unsafe, or you feel very alone or unhappy, please tell someone about it so they can try to help you.  Talk to someone you can trust, like a teacher or a nurse at your school.  They will listen to you and support you, and talk through what can be done to help sort things out.

Remember that you can ring ChildLine anytime on 0800 1111 or you can talk to a trained social worker at Kirklees Council.

How children are protected from harm in Kirklees

If a baby, child or young person has been deliberately harmed or it is believed they may be harmed in the future the law says that the local authority (Kirklees Council) has to find out what has happened so that children can be kept safe. 

A social worker, sometimes together with a police officer, will visit and talk to everyone in the family.  The social worker will talk to all children who are old enough to find out how they feel and what worries them.

If there are a lot of concerns a meeting called a Child Protection Conference will be arranged.  People who know the child and their family, for example a teacher, a doctor or a health visitor, will be invited to attend this, together with parents, their partners, and the children.  The conference will talk about what has happened and what can be done to help.  If necessary a plan will be agreed of all the things people should do to help the child and the family - this is called a Child Protection Plan.  Every child who has a child protection plan has a social worker who will see the child regularly to talk about everything that is happening.

What is A Child Protection Conference?

A Child Protection Conference is a meeting arranged by Children's Social Care if people are worried about your safety or there are concerns about how you are being treated by the people caring for you.

The law says social services must make sure that children are safe.  If it is not safe for a child to continue to live at home the social worker will see if the child can stay with another member of the family.  If that is not possible the social worker will arrange for the child to live with a foster carer or in a children's residential home.

Child Protection Conference Advocacy

The Kirklees Looked After Children Independent Service provides Advocacy to children and young people over the age of ten who are subject to a Child Protection Conference.  The role of the Children’s Participation Advocate is to help them to make sure they are able to let people know what they think and how they feel.  The service is independent from Social Care Services and works solely with young people to help them feel they have been heard. 

This may be done in a number of different ways: 

If you would like to know more please contact the Children’s Rights Service on 01484 223388 or Freephone 0800 3893312 [free from landlines].  

Information for Young People 

Updated 01/09/2014

Legal advice

Legal advice for children and young people is available free from the Children's Legal Centre.  The freephone number is 08088 020 008. 

Government Statutory Guidance for Young People

Young Persons Guide to Working Together to Safeguard Children
Young Persons Guide to Keeping Children Safe


The NSPCC have produced a leaflet for young people who feel they are not being looked after properly.  If you are worried about yourself or a friend the leaflet Neglect matters might be useful for you to read. 


For futher information on Kids In Care in Kirklees, click here.

Back to top

Kirklees Council NSPCC West Yorkshire Police NHS National Probation Service Cafcass